In the last article I spoke about the hosting service and how to activate your domain name, in this article I'm going to show you how to install a WordPress site.
The fast and easy way to do that is to use the tool "Fantastico de Luxe", this is going to be installed on your server in your cpanel.
In order to install a WordPress blog, follow theses simples steps:
- Click in Fantastico de Luxe
- Choose WordPress
- Click in New Installation
- Choose your domain name where WordPress is going to be installed.
- Leave the next box blank if you want your domain to be installed in the root folder, this will show an URL like "mydomain.com" instead of "mydomain.com/blog/"
- Choose an admin name, choose a word different than "admin" to prevent hacking.
- Choose a strong password
- Choose a name for your admin user, like your name or something related to your company.
- Choose an e-mail address where the mails of the site are going to be redirected.
- Write the name of your site.
- Write a little description of your site
- Click in Install WordPress.
- After that you are going to receive the data base name and you can mail all the information of your blog to your email address, that is a good idea for security reasons.
After your site has been installed you can visit the CPanel link or write the address in your browser. For exemple: www.mydomain.com but WordPress installations normaly install blogs with URLs like http://mydomain.com instead of www.mydomain.com.
To gain access to your dashboard in WordPress you have to write , enter your username and password and you're in.
Install a Theme
WordPress has a theme installed by default, this could be enough for some people, but I prefer to change the theme with something related to the subject of my blog. To do that follow these steps:
- Go to Appearance
- Click "Install Themes"
- Click in "Search"
- You can choose themes by colors, columns, customizable header or with a specific keyword like "christmas"
- Choose your design
- Click "Install"
- Click "Preview"
- If you like the theme, click "Activate theme" and you're done
- If your don't like it, choose another one.
You can search also in Google for "free theme wp" or "free theme wordpress" and you are going to have more choices. If you find one theme that you like, download the theme and for the installation follow these steps:
- Go to Appearance
- Click "Upload"
- Choose the file that you downloaded before
- Click "Install"
- Click "Preview", and if you like the theme activate it and you're done.
Not all the themes are going to be convenient for you, you'll somethimes have to change the CSS and modify the PHP code to have it the way you want. But try to choose something that doesn't need too many changes. If you prefer, there are some premium theme categories, but the modifications required are going to be the same.
In order to choose a theme answer these questions:
- Is the look and feel nice for you and your public?
- Are the menus easy to modify, is the font too big or too small?
- Are the font sizes and styles easy to modify? Can you read text properly?
- Do the colors look nice and professional?
Install a plugin
Another important subject in WordPress are the plugins, these are scripts in PHP that help you do things without the need of programming. Maybe you need a contact form, a photo gallery, a MP3 player ? All of this is possible and more with plugins. In order to install a plugin, follow these steps:
- Go to plugins
- Click "Add New"
- Click "Search"
- Write something that your need like "Contact form"
- You can read the description of the plugin and the evaluation of people that already used it.
- Click in "Details". Personally I prefer to look at the screenshot to see how the plugin works.
- If you think that is what you are looking for, click "Install".
- Click "Activate"
- In some cases you should configure your plugin or write a little code in your post in order for it to work properly.
- If you don't like the result you can desactivate it and then delete it.
Not all the plugins work correctly and some create problems when they interact. Check that your blog work properly after activating a plugin.
WordPress classifies the information in Posts and Pages. The pages are static, like in topics "About me" or "Contact me" for example. The Posts are the news of the site, your articles. These articles can be classified in categories for easy reference for you, your readers and for search engines.
To add categories follow these steps:
- Go to Post
- Go to Categories
- Add a New Category
- Write the name of your category, for exemple "travels"
- Write a slug, that means a short name for your category in case it is different than the last one.
- Write a short description of your category.
- Click in save and your done.
- If something doesn't look right you can edit your categories afterwards.
In the next article I'm going to show you how to add content to your site. Have a good day.